I’ve actually received a few questions on this related subject. I’ve answered a few of them as well. But here is a condensed list of what I do when I am in this situation.
- Is it the genre of the RP that you cannot stand? You can always message the RP back privately saying that you are unfamiliar and do not feel like you are in a good position to give them a review. Give them a few rpcs who are more familiar with that genre. Done. If you are ambitious or just a crowd pleaser, suck it up. You signed up to do a job, do it.
- Why do you hate it? None of us can be entirely removed from our emotions, we’re human not vulcan, so figure out what makes you uncomfortable. Now you have a list of things to talk about!
- Stay objective. Even in a RP you love, still maintain a professional voice. Avoid the “I”. Using third person can really remove you from the hate. No more “I think”, “I feel”. Nope. You don’t feel anything. Carry on.
- Every criticism you make, give a suggestion. You should be doing this in all your reviews anyway. When you hate something, it’s easy to just say ew ew ew to anything. Why the ew? How can they eliminate the ew? How can they turn the ew to a yay?
- Suck it up. I know, I’m repeating myself. But the fact is that not everything is going to be pleasing for you in this world, what you might hate might actually appeal to a lot of people. Think about those people, what will they be looking for in the RP? Is it quality for them? Taking a few steps back and changing shoes can do wonders for both your review and your mind.
- Lastly, don’t do things you don’t want to do. That’s called being pressured. We have enough of that in real life, on Tumblr you can control it. You are the master of your own blog.
HOW TO MAKE A TUMBLR ROLEPLAY (Series)
Chapter I: Introduction
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this tutorial series. I’m probably going to be bad at explaining some stuff, but I’m going to try my best to help you understand what it is that we’re going to accomplish with this guide series. This series will help you construct the roleplay of your dreams, and help you establish the ideas that you’ve had stuck in your head into becoming a reality, or simply, a roleplay.
Time for bed. I’ll try and be on tomorrow evening - I’m handing in my two essays tomorrow and I did my in-class essay today, so I’m (hopefully) going to have less work on my hands. xx
I want to keep it going this time, and transform it into something bigger. If anyone would like to help out, please let me know.
I’ve seen a few similar things pop up lately and it made me sad that I was no longer running the resource. I’d love some help, if anyone’s interested. It’s relatively simple.
Does anyone need something? Everything is open except full and first-look reviews.
→ WRITING HELP BLOGS & SITES
If you’re stuck for inspiration, want some advice, or need to refine your writing skills, you can usually turn to a writing help blog or site for help. So here’s a masterlist of some of the ones I’ve seen around. Note that these blogs usually focus ONLY on writing help and this list does not include any RPCHAs.